It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Success on Injections
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 pm 

I tried many treatments for my severe PMS, also known as PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) and the one that suited me best was an injection called GnRH Analogues. I tried Decapeptyl and Zoladex, with the Zoladex being the most effective. It meant I was put into medical/chemical menopause which comes with it's own symptoms but none as bad as the PMDD. What has anyone else had success with?

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Success on Injections
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 pm 

Hi there,

Thankyou for posting your personal feedback on treatment it really is helpful reading others experiences and not feeling so alone and 'insane' as I currently do now waiting anyday for my period to come before my head blows off my shoulders lol.

Although I believe I have suffered severely for some years with PMDD and in the meantime been diagnosed with a wide range of mental health disorders - then the penny drops when they start to investigate my hormones - I am new to the world of medical treatments.

It has been suggested I too try Zoladex or HRT Estradiol Patch with Uterogestan (Progesterone Pills)

Unfortunately I have over-researched and I am now freaked out by the side effects and feel in a position where I don't want/ am too scared to make things worse.

Is there any more feedback on either that you can give me in terms off side effects / how you felt during treatment?

Also would you mind me asking you where you are treated? I live down South and I literally begged my GP bombarding her with info on PMS/PMDD to refer me to the Chelsea and Westminster.

Anyone else who is also willing to comment would be greatly appreciated.

Good Luck with your continuing mission to be well, we deserve it :)

Very Best Wishes

xxx

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:00 am 

Hey there,

The side effects from Zoladex were a huge shock to the system but were so much better than the Premenstrual symptoms! I suffered from bone aches, hot flushes, low mood and lethargy at first, but when I started my HRT these all eased up. I also got a wee magnet you wear in your underwear which helped with the flushes.

The important thing to consider when trying any medication, is to try one thing at a time so you know what is helping and what is not. If you try everything at once, it is impossible to distinguish.

Have you been to the hospital already? If not, it is definitely worth keeping monthly charts of your symptoms to take with you as these will help the doctor enormously.

I would do it all again if I had to and would still choose the Zoladex as it was so life changing for me. Everyone is different though so you may have to try a few things before you find the one that works best for you.

The HRT method alone, I cannot comment on but am sure someone will be along soon to tell you their experiences of it. all the very best. x

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 pm 

Thankyou for your reply it is really appreciated.

Only last night did I blow my top at partner telling him to get out and I hate him hysterically crying - how awful, what a state to get in - and then this morning I begin the bleed -how guilty do I feel :( - so I need to do something!

Yes I am under the hospital just stalling on the treatment as I am scared to make things worse while hanging onto the edge!

Would you mind me asking in what way it was life changing for you? Are you planning next to have a hysterectomy or will you continue the injection for the time being? I have begged for a hysterectomy.

Very best well wishes to you living your life symptom free :) xxx

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:59 am 

Hi, I have had the hysterectomy and removal of ovaries in November. It wasn't my choice but I knew it was a possibility in the long run. I had used unopposed oestrogen for years and had overgrowth of my womb lining which was suspicious so it all had to come out.

I think that it would be worth trying the injections prior to going down the surgical route as it gives you and idea of how you'll feel post op. ie in menopause.

It was life changing for me as the injections got rid of ALL my PMDD symptoms and made me a much calmer person, able to have a proper life again. I only have positive things to say about the injections. Trust and work with your doctor. They are the experts and will help you through this. x

Offline Profile