It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trying to stop ovulation with oestrogen & mirena combo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:43 am 

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has experience of success with this? Everything I read indicates that 100 micrograms of oestrogen via patch or gel should be enough to stop it. I have been on 100 micrograms since April (patch) then changed to gel version in June and increased the gel (Sandrena) to two and a half sachets on 1 August (equivalent to 150 micrograms). I still have had no success.

Since I started on the Mirena coil last November and oestrogen, some things have improved slightly - my moods are a little better controlled, the 'fluey' feeling has gone and the joint pain has gone, however the cramping, ovary pain, bloating, water retention is still a frequent problem and I only get a few days a month where I am not getting it. It's not permanent and sometimes just a few hours at a time but it's still affecting my day to day life. I also get 'shooting pains' up my vagina only when I am experiencing the cyclical symptoms which I presume is due to inflammation around the time I get the other symptoms causing the coil to hurt?!

Have any of you had to go through this process and continued to a higher dose than this and it eventually worked or did you have to resort to GnRH injections in the end?

Many thanks for reading.

Aged 44. History of endo. and period problems. Started seriously trying to sort August 2013 with BC pills, then tried coil and oestrogen, now trying another pill. Going to try GnRH next. Suffer more with physical symptoms although mood is affected too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Trying to stop ovulation with oestrogen & mirena combo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:54 pm 

Hi, I didn't receive any replies to my last post :-(

However, I have now changed to the contraceptive pill, Qlaira on a trial before a Zoladex injection.

Has anyone had any experience of this pill, good or bad?

Many thanks.

Aged 44. History of endo. and period problems. Started seriously trying to sort August 2013 with BC pills, then tried coil and oestrogen, now trying another pill. Going to try GnRH next. Suffer more with physical symptoms although mood is affected too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:57 pm 

Sorry you never got any replies. It may be no-one reading has experienced what you were trying. Unfortunately I have never tried that pill either but I wish you well on it. Zoladex I have tried and loved. Hope the pill works well for you. Jx

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:24 pm 

Thanks for responding pmddsurvivor & good to know zoladex can work well. That will be the next step.

Best wishes
L x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:00 pm 

Hi Landy,

I am one step behind you - i.e. i'm on oestrogel and progesterone. My routine is four squirts a day of O and then ten days of the progesterone, i'm using Utrogestan. My doctor has said that mirena plus Oestrogel is my next step for trying to improve my symptoms. But i'm hoping to delay that and conceive instead.

Did the doc not try and increase your Oestrogel before removing Mirena, that would have seemed like the next logical step.

How is this pill working for you? I've never heard of it.

So glad you mentioned the shooting pains - I get them too and have no idea what they are!

x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:37 am 

Hi Pmthater

Thanks for your reply. How are you getting on with the gel and progesterone? Have you done the progesterone part yet?

Well, so far the pill has give me worse acid reflux pain (which I get with my cyle i.e. when I get pmt, I get that as part of it) and really bad hip pains. I think this is because I don't react well to progesterone and my GP said it relaxes muscle which is why I get the reflux pain and joint pain - I think!!?

Before I started any treatment I used to get bad joint pain, the oestrogen gel did stop this. I did try increasing the dosage but I felt even more ill unfortunately.

I had the mirena with the oestrogen patches and then gel for 11 months and suffered shooting pains up through my vagina all of that time. I have not had one shooting pain since the mirena was removed so that is one positive!

I have an appointment for Zoladex jab on 3rd November and really don't know what to do, the pill is certainly making me worse so far - periody, bloating, pain etc. Whether this will settle down I don't know. The trouble is I used to get a few days to a week respite per month but now I am experimenting with treatment/pills, I seem to be bad most days! I just seem to get rid of one symptom of my pms to replace it with another through side effects of treatment.

I really want to try Zoladex with unopposed oestrogen to give a good indication of whether a hysterectomy with ovary removal would work.

Let me know how you get on. I would be particularly interested to hear about the progesterone part as maybe I could try that and have some control over the side effects to once per month!

Good luck with everything.

L x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:47 am 

Pmddsurvivor -

Hi I was just wondering if you had any problems persuading your gynae to let you try Zoladex with oestrogen only?

I am thinking I will ask to do this for 3 months so that I can get a true picture of whether the progesterone is causing me more problems (which I suspect it is). I think if I do Zoladex with combined hrt/other combo with progesterone then how will I know if it's just the progesterone that is causing problems if it doesn't work properly. Where if I do it just with oestrogen, I will know that a hysterectomy with ovary removal has a good chance of sorting me out.

I am getting so desperate and very emotional and teary with all this, it's all getting too much for me to deal with and is taking over my life. I know you have all been there! I am in pain with a slipped disc in my back to so I think it's all just getting on top of me and feeling very sorry for myself! :)

I do have a history of endo so hope that doesn't mean they won't let me try without the progesterone.

Thanks for reading.

L x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:59 pm 

Hi Landy,

After the trouble I got into on combined HRT he was happy for me to have oestrogen only. I knew the surgery was in sight for me at some point but had managed to stave it off for as long as I could. I went in to the oestrogen only with my eyes wide open so knew the risks and took them anyway. It's all about weighing up risk:benefit.

If you're only talking about 3 months, you should be able to persuade your doc. I sometimes think trying the jag without HRT at all is a good way to see how things can pan out. Good luck, Jx

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:15 pm 

Hi pmddsurvivor

Thanks for replying. I agree, I can't see how you can get a good picture if you take oestrogen and progesterone with it.

I am really glad that you eventually found a cure. Hope life is good for you x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:39 pm 

Landy44 wrote:
I am thinking I will ask to do this for 3 months so that I can get a true picture of whether the progesterone is causing me more problems (which I suspect it is). I think if I do Zoladex with combined hrt/other combo with progesterone then how will I know if it's just the progesterone that is causing problems if it doesn't work properly. Where if I do it just with oestrogen, I will know that a hysterectomy with ovary removal has a good chance of sorting me out.

Hi L -- I'm doing this exact thing (well, except with Decapeptyl instead of Zoladex). Took a lot of arguing with doctors before one agreed to it (after no luck with various combos of estrogen patches/progesterone in varying forms -- I just started another thread about my experiences so far...)! Have you had any luck getting them to agree to it? Cheering you on -- I hope it works for both of us!!!

Offline Profile