It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Estrogel treatment and periods
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:53 am 

Hi

I have had success with supressing my ovarian cycle with estrogel for over a year then for the past two months I have had a period . Definitely not just a breakthrough bleed proper pms really hungry anxious spotty bad abdomen and back ache followed by migrane but not heavy bleed just all the hormonal period symptoms exactly as they were a year ago...

Has anyone had a similar experience or know why it could be happening? I've made an appointment to see my go to be referred to gynae again to ask
about gnrh but it will be months before I get there.

I had a little trial with testosterone but stopped because it gave me really bad acne and I felt ill and tired after 3 months trying it so was probably not right for me so perhaps it was stopping that but don't see how!

Thanks x

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Estrogel treatment and periods
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:31 am 

Hi Juliettes,

Have you been using any form of progesterone at all? It may be that that if you haven't, the oestrogel has caused a build up of cells on the womb lining and the bleeding is this shedding. OR it may be that as you've been on this treatment for a while that it's now become ineffective as some treatments do after using them for a while.

I'm glad you've made an appointment with your GP to see about this as if not on progesterone, you probably need an ultrasound to check everything is ok. If this is the case, your GP should be referring you as an urgent case so it shouldn't take too long at all to be seen by gynae.

Hope you get it sorted soon and please let us know how you go. Jx

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:48 am 

Hi pmdd survivor

Thanks so much for your reply . Yes I have mirena in all the time I had it for four years previous to starting estrogel so on my second one.
I've been trying to keep my estrogel lower because it causes me to have insomnia when too high but still having over 2 mg ,perhaps it's that
It fells a bit like it's becoming ineffective which is a shame as it worked so well until now. To be honest there wasn't that much bleeding but more all the hormonal symptoms that are definitely cycle related . My Gp appointment is not until the end of the month as she is so popular
Thanks x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:01 am 

It might be that the lower dose isn't enough to suppress your cycle then? Glad you've got the Mirena in though for womb protection. I never got on with the Mirena but some women love it.

How many pumps of gel are you using? In the guidelines it suggests that you need 4 for cycle suppression. Some women find splitting the dose helps with side effects so maybe that's worth a try in the meantime. Good luck. Jx

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:12 pm 

Hi thanks again for coming back

I'm using 2 1/4 sandrena sachets not sure what that equates to in pumps I think you have slightly more pumps ratio to sachet but not sure

My gynae told me to keep to two but I feel low mood on 2 and insomnia on higher. I have been up to 3 but was running round like wired loony but splitting it might help

Mabey I should try a bit more in evening in addition to my morning dose so thanks for that I hadn't even thought if trying it that way .it's so so hard to get any dosage advise guidance anywhere

Juliettes x

Offline Profile