It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 36 and facing surgy for removal of ovaries
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:00 pm 

I’ve been having the GNHR injections since March 2015. My consultant gives then 12-14 weeks apart which personally I feel is not soon enough. I always feel the symptoms beginning to come back after about 10 weeks and its 16 weeks now since my last one and I feel like I’m on the brink of disaster. I’m sure it’s only because my husband now recognised the change in me that I haven’t already had a meltdown.

My consultant said I can’t have any more which I’m gutted about, she has mentioned that surgery to remove ovaries is a possibility and this is what I’m going back for today.
As much as I wish I didn’t have to have surgery – I can’t face going back to how things were for me. Even though mu hubby is a bit more forgiving and better at dealing with me now days I couldn’t bear the thought of feeling how I do when the cloud comes over.

In the months since I’ve been on the injections I’ve managed to change jobs and not a single day off sick – I rarely managed a full week for nearly two years!!!
The only down side now is the libido – or to be more precise – total and utter lack of one!!
I was hardly a raving sex manic before but being as my husband and I get along now it might be nice to fancy sex. Trouble is I don’t – at all ever !!!!
I can deal with the hot flushes – they're a nuisance but compared to what I was putting up with it’s a doddle!

Today I guess I have to decide if it’s a case of whipping out the ovaries or not! - In reality for me it’s a no brainer, Id whip them out myself I could, but facing a long and celibate married life could be a bit uninteresting and lead to other problems down the line. I am only 36 after all

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 36 and facing surgy for removal of ovaries
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:39 pm 

Hi, I too have used the injections for a long time and found my libido plummeted unfortunately BUT there are things that can help. Testosterone for example can help along with a good dose of oestrogen.

Before that though, why does you consultant a) not give the injections on time (they are 12 week injections) and b ) why won't she give you any more?

Mine ALWAYS wore off early so I had them at 10 weeks on the dot. My consultant said I could go to 8 weeks but luckily I never needed to.

Also, if you only have ovaries removed, then you will need progesterone in your HRT to protect the womb lining. For PMDD, a total hysterectomy and oophorectomy is the recommended surgery. Your consultant should know this. The other thing to consider is that you CAN, with the correct management, use the injections for longer than it says in the book of medicines...Hope this helps. x

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am 

Thank you pmddsurvivor

So i've been back to my consultant Who will not give me any more GNRH injections. :cry:
She says it’s due to effect on my bones. Having thought about this I am sure it’s about the cost of the drug rather than the side effect. I’ve done a lot of reading and there are effective treatments to combat the side effects.

My consultant has now prescribed me a mirena coil and oestradol patched 100mcg – I have agreed to give it a go however I am not hopeful – I will be pleased to have some relief from the hot flushes but I didn’t get on with a coil last time so I’m not expecting this time to be much better.

I will give it a go until February when I next see my consultant – but I will be putting a very good case forward when I next see her.

Does anyone know if these injections are available to buy privately and if so what is the cost?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:46 am 

How are you getting on with your current treatment?

Hope it's helping. In answer to your question about buying the injections privately, yes you can but only with a prescription from a doctor who is wiling to treat you. I wouldn't recommend trying to buy online as you never know what you are really getting.

Maybe the new regime will do the trick - hope so. x

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:08 pm 

I AM SO RELIEVED YOU HAVE POSTED - I DONT THINK I HAVE EVER FELT QUITE THIS ALONE.

No one understand what its like existing like this (apart from the ladies on here)
:cry:

Well, I’m just starting on my 3rd week of patches Estraderm 100 – its taken an age to get the hospital to get the information to my GP who was then bewildered by all of this. Thankfully I had the letter the consultant with me so I could show him what the planned treatment it otherwise he wouldn’t have given it to me.
I’m not having the best luck with the patches – the first one peeled straight off the next two only managed a day and I have yet to have any stay on for the prescribed 84 hours.
I’ve resorted to this ritual like sticking on ceremony…..It seems the only place I have even the slightest success it the front of my thigh, I have to shave, scrub, de-grease the area. Warm the patch up with the hairdryer - Then stick it on and apply more heat from the hair dryer. The edges almost immediately start lifting so I then have to stick the edges down with extra sticky tape. They look a right bloody mess.
I can’t have a proper bath with one on so it’s a quick shower or leave my leg sticking out!
On a brighter note – I don’t ache like a 90 year old woman and my hair isn’t falling out anymore.

I’ve also had my mirena fitted………deep joy! :shock:
I was really reluctant to have this as anyway as I’ve had both coils in the past and don’t feel it suits me. Consultant persuaded me to give it ago but I’m already beginning to regret it. The last time I had a coil (for birth control) I was plagued with constant thrush…I always put it down to the coil but my gp flatly refused and said I was just depressed and stressed and signed me off work. I used canisten treatments on a daily basis all of which I bought over the counter. I know this is tmi but I also smelled differently down there – not disgusting like infection but was not me and I became really conscious of (I’m sure my DH though I’d been sleeping around) My DH had a vasectomy and I had it out – and both disappeared. :!:
Surprise surprise guess what I’ve now got thrush and the smell is back - It’s only been in a week so I know I have to wait a bit longer to see if this all helps but I know my own body and I feel it’s not right.
The consultant tried to fob me off with them sending an appointment for 6 months’ time ( which in really would be more like 8) this was the final straw – I broke down like a baby and sobbed, she back tracked and said she would review me in February. :cry:
In all honesty I feel as bad as I ever have done (in fact possibly even worse) I am dreading the next few months because I’m not sure if I can physically mentally and emotionally cope any more my marriage is in tatters and DH is on the brink of leaving me-
DH didn’t even come to the appointment with me – I don’t think he can deal with it anymore.
He feel so rejected by my lack of interest in sex – which only adds to the problems. I feel rejected because he doesn’t seem to care and the cycle repeats. If Christmas wasn’t around the corner he’d have left me and out daughter already.
I’ve even considered leaving them both to spare them of my crazy misery, it’s all one massive nightmare.
Sorry I’ve unloaded like this – I have nowhere else to of load too – my family think I’m just stressed and that he should be more supportive but after the last 4 years who can blame him.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:57 am 

Hey, sorry for late reply.

Sounds like you're going through the mill :(

Firstly, if you are having problems with the patches, can you contact your consultant and ask to try a different type? I find Estradot stick pretty well on their own with no extra faffing required and you can get them in various strengths.

The coil can take a good while to settle down unfortunately and so, if you can, try and be patient with yourself for a few weeks and see if everything settles. Please don't use thrush treatments daily, sure that will do more harm than good....

What about either seeing your practice nurse or a gum clinic for a swab in case you have an infection of sorts? Inserting a coil has a risk of infection and you may find a short course of antibiotics clears it all up.

With regards to hubby, talk with him - share your fears and allow him to share his. Explain that you are trying your best to take control of your health and that you really appreciate his support. If you cannot manage this yourselves, think about somewhere like Relate to get things out in the open.

If you'd prefer to go back on the injections, find another gynae. Ask for a 2nd opinion. Make a nuisance of yourself to get the healthcare YOU need and deserve. Hang in there - you CAN DO THIS. Feel free to chat here or PM me. Sending hugs. xxx

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:11 pm 

OMG after all the stress i'm finally getting somewhere.

On Wednesday I am going into hospital to have a hysterectomy and removal of my ovaries. surgery feels like a daunting prospect however I feel deeply that its the right thing for me. I'm sure the next couple of weeks might be a bit tough but i'm sure it will be so worthwhile.

I'm planning on keeping a diary so I can blog my progress and recovery to help other who have suffered.

Offline Profile