It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: pmdd in teenage daughter?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:16 pm 

Is it hereditary? I suffered for decades until a hysterectomy gave me back a normal life but now I fear my 15 year old is heading the same way. She was always a bit wild however this last year has been hell for her and us. She was diagnosed with a life changing autoimmune disease and is on prednisolone which I know can make you moody but she is behaving badly at school, smoking and so moody I don't know what to do. I don't know whether to start charting her cycle or not as I feel I don't want to make it into pmdd when it may just be normal teen moods. On the other hand I don't want to ignore it if it is pmdd as I know first hand how it can devastate lives. Any ideas? :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: pmdd in teenage daughter?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:28 pm 

Hi Hope,

I think it is thought to be hereditary :( BUT that does not mean it's a definite. It could be that this is her reacting to the diagnosis of her disorder? One way to check would be to chart her cycles (or get her to do it) and see if there is any sort of pattern to her behaviour. It coule be the steroids like you say so maybe worth discussing options with her GP as well. Good luck and at least if it IS PMDD, she has a mum who can help her manage her symptoms. x

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: pmdd in teenage daughter?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:18 pm 

Thank you for replying, we have spoken to consultant and have altered her meds which seem to make her calmer. The side effects were causing her to feel sick so she wasn't eating during the day this alone was enough to flare her anger! I,m keeping a close eye on her cycles as she had a period this week , the first one for 72 days! I worry that she may develop pmdd too so I think it is worth charting so I canbe prepared just in case. ;)

Offline Profile