It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Two Periods a Month?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:08 pm 

Hello!

Firstly I just wanted to say how happy I was to find this site and this forum. It's so comforting to know that there are such a lot of wonderful, supportive people out there.

Just wondering...does anyone have any knowledge / experience of having two periods a month? My initial bleed ceases (completely) and then a couple of days later I tend to have another period (with accompanying PMS symptoms beforehand). This can either take the form of brownish discharge (sorry to be graphic) or proper, full-on fresh blood.

Sadly this means that I only have a couple of days a month when I feel 'normal' - I seem to either be ovulating or premenstrual!

Other issues: I have cysts on my ovaries, my skin is terrible and I have scary mood swings. Also had a cervical erosion - not sure if this is connected?

GP doesn't seem overly concerned by hormonal issues (although I have tried raising). However I've just started taking anti-depressants as my PMS symptoms seem to have been exacerbated by the end of my long-term relationship (long-suffering boyfriend had had enough of my mood swings). By chance these are SSRIs which I know can help with PMS symptoms so fingers crossed I'll see an improvement.

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that hormones may be behind many of my health issues but had never made a firm connection until now. Used to have horrible cyclical episodes when I was younger when I'd literally be lying on the floor of the bathroom sweating and shaking in pain with weird waves of urgency to visit the loo (again - sorry for being so graphic!). Doctor suspected endometriosis but no evidence found.

A few weeks ago a private clinic diagnosed 'oestrogen dominance' and prescribed progesterone cream. Blimey! I won't be trying that again! Had a really severe negative reaction - honestly wanted to die. Up until that point I had no idea that many women with PMS are actually sensitive to progesterone - it was probably the case that I was pouring fuel on the fire.

Anyway - would really welcome your thoughts and views. It's been so good to read all of your stories.

Offline Profile