It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hysterectomy decision looming!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 am 

Morning all,

I have suffered with PMDD since being a teenager and for the last 6 years have been on decapeptyl injections with add back estrogen patches and the mirena coil. I have steadily gone from having the injection every 12 weeks to the minimum of every 8 weeks and am still having breakthrough symptoms. This time has to be the worst for breakthrough symptoms, so much so that for a long time I remember how bad my PMDD was sooooo I am at the point of making a decision to have a hysterectomy. I know this is the best thing to rid me finally of PMDD but I am absolutely freaking out about having my cervix removed! I don't have a problem with womb, ovaries and anything that needs to be taken but the thought of my cervix going makes me panic! Anyone else felt like this and does anyone know if you have to have it taken? ANY advice or stories on how surgery has gone for you and most importantly how you felt hormonally afterwards would be most gratefully received!

With thanks and much love to fellow sufferers

Aimee x

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hysterectomy decision looming!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:13 pm 

Hi Aimee,

Apologies for late reply I only just saw your post.

I had the op in 2012 and they took it all! Yay! The reason you have to have your cervix removed is that it is made up of similar cells to the womb lining and in order to prevent hyperplasia (overgrowth) of the cells, you would have to take progesterone post op. Most women with PMDD cannot tolerate progesterone so it has to go. Is there any reason you're worried about it being removed? x

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile