It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hello my pmdd story
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 am 

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so will start by giving you my LONG pmdd story. I'm 41 and have suffered severe pmdd for the last ten years but it's got worse in the last three years. Over the years I've been wrongly diagnosed with depression, bipolar (for which I was put on lamotragine mood stabilisers for over a year which made me like a zombie, gad, OCD none of which I have. I was finally diagnosed with pmdd two years ago. I've tried so many ssri's which either made my symptoms worse or worked in the beginning only to stop working a few months later. I went onto try an anti depressant called reboxetine which is an 'snri's as a-posed to the usual 'ssri's' that are usually prescribed, it worked well but made me sweat so bad that I had to come off them.i am now on 40 mg of duloxetine and am under a gynacholagist and am on prostap/zoladex jabs for 4 months with the hope of a hysterectomy with removal of ovaries soon after - also I take an estrogen hrt tablet every day for hot flushes. After two years of having to see a phychiatrist I was dismissed back to my gp as they found me to have no mental health issues - 'just' as they put it pmdd! Pmdd has ruined many many years of my life and it's totally pushed into the back ground and not understood and taken seriously. I am/was an accountant but had to give up working many years ago as before my period starts I have no motivation to barely even move out of bed - never mind go to work. I've had surgery for bulky uterus/cysts in jan 2013, at which time I had the mirena coil fitted, I tried this for over 6 months and gained over 2 stone and my symptoms were much much worse, It was finally removed after 4 attempts over a 3 month timespan as it was stuck behind my c-section/sterilisation scar. I welcome a hysterectomy and can't wait but I have the problem of needing to lose weight before surgery as I have had the 'pmdd' food cravings before my period starts for quite a few years which has resulted in weight gain.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hello my pmdd story
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:45 pm 

Hi Caz,

Wow, sounds like you have literally been through hell and back :(
After all that it seems so unfair that you must wait even longer for the hysterectomy. I wish you all the luck in the world reaching a good weight for surgery... hopefully the promise of being symptom free will be good motivation.
I am new here too and am just at the beginning of my treatment journey.
I wish you luck,

Sarah. x

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hello my pmdd story
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:57 pm 

Hi and welcome Caz. Good to have you here and hopefully you'll find lots of support and friendship on the forum. Some of the ladies I've come across find that when they get a good oestrogen level that their mood improves and their weight stabilises so hopefully you will find this too. A wee heads up but I've heard that post op we need more oestrogen than when on suppression and often oral HRT doesn't provide this so it may be worth researching gels and patches too. Good luck on the injections I hope they give you relief. x

38 years old. Suffered PMDD for many many years. Had very successful treatment on GnRH Analogues and oestrogen only HRT. Had TAH + BSO 15/11/12 for severe complex atypical hyperplasia. Hopefully now completely symptom free permanently.

Offline Profile